4, Giuseppe Cali Street, Ta' Xbiex XBX 1420, Malta (+356) 2138 8399

Digital Nomad Scheme

MALTA – The Nomad Residence Permit

Mediterranean weather, beautiful scenery, proximity to Europe, international environment, Island life and a special visa for Digital nomads. Malta now has it all.

Malta became the latest to join the list of countries that offer a special visa for digital nomads.

The Nomad Residence Permit enables holders to retain their current employment based in another country whilst legally residing in Malta. The Permit is open to individuals who can work remotely and independent of location, using telecommunications technologies.

Digital nomads in essence are people who work remotely while travelling constantly. The difference when compared to tourists is that they don’t move from one place to another as fast as tourists do, and they are working remotely while travelling.

The Nomad Residence Permit is aimed at “third country” or non-EU nationals that would normally require a visa to travel to Malta. The aim of the scheme is to allow non-EU nationals the right to reside in Malta for 12 months whilst still being employed in another country. To be eligible for the programme you must be able to prove a minimum gross income of €2,400 per month. You also need to be employed by a company registered outside Malta and have a contract of employment.

Alternatively, you can be a business owner or shareholder in an entity registered outside of Malta, or be a freelancer offering services to establishments in a foreign country providing you have valid contracts.

If successful, the applicant will be issued with a Malta Nomad Residence Permit for 12 months and this can be renewed for a further 12 months if you remain eligible. If you intend to stay in Malta for less than a year you will be issued with a National Visa that is valid for 91-180 days.

Malta already hosts and welcomes digital nomads from the EU. This community of entrepreneurial expats make the most of Malta’s island vibes, a nomad lifestyle, business networking opportunities and cultural experiences. The Nomad Residence Permit is open to individuals from third countries, who would normally (but not necessarily) require a Visa to travel to Malta.

Want to sell your property? contact us now!